Monday, February 14, 2011

Just ask me how the ocean tastes. . .

    I spent the weekend drinking the lovely ocean.  Actually, I was attempting to surf and spent most of the time falling (not so gracefully) into the water.  I fell on my stomach, performing a stomach flop, and also did a variety of back flops and side flops into the ocean.  Here is where the drinking the water part comes in- when I fall, I must make a weird face with my mouth wide open because I got some good mouth-fulls of salt water.  But, I was determined to get the hang of surfing which is why I went on the trip to Crescent Head Beach for the weekend.
     Crescent Head is 6 hours away from ICMS (as I learned later, it is 8.5 hours away if the bus breaks down) and a group of 70 students went to surf for the weekend.  I spent around 6 or 6.5 hours on Saturday in the ocean and about 2.5 hours on Sunday surfing.  At first, I tried a couple of times by myself and then an instructor helped me and I stood up for the first time!  Then I was able to surf a couple waves on my own which was amazing and unlike anything I have done before.
     Some of the tips that the instructors said were to keep your feet flat on the surfboard, keep arms down, and to look straights ahead.  Even though I was thinking about these, when I saw my surfing pictures later I realized that my arms were definitely high in the air!  Whoops.  I guess that I was just trying to balance!
     Surfing
     Under
     Real
     Freaky
     Intense
     Nice
     . . . .. waves!!!  (haha, corny-sorry!)

1 comment: