Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ballin' in Brisbane!

Before I continue blogging about random stories, I wanted to point out some of the differences between the U.S. and Australia that I noticed during the first week:
1. (The most obvious) Australians drive on the opposite side of the road and the drivers side is also reversed.  Note: when crossing the street, look right, left, right instead of how I was always taught of left, right, left.  This is particularly important and I learned it very quickly when a speeding car almost crushed my right foot!
2. The toilets DO spin backwards
3. The bathroom is called "toilet."  Signs point toward the toilet and the front of the bathroom door says toilet!
4. Australia is sunny and extremely hot.  The temperature is measured in Degrees Celsius, so to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit, double the Celsius degree and add 30.
5. Waitors and waitresses are paid by the hour and you do not need to tip in Australia.
6. Everything is more expensive in Australia.  It is almost impossible to find a meal for less than $10.  Most meals average around $20 though.
7. Kangaroos are slobbery.  I don't think I need to drag this out but I had a nice bath in kangaroo saliva/drool when I tried to feed them.
8. When walking through Brisbane, the signal to walk across the street sounds exactly like a video game.  It makes a clicking noice and I feel like I am in the Mario game.  Seriously cool!
9 & 10. This is so important that it needs to be two numbers.  "Heaps" is used for everything here.  For example, I love you heaps and heaps!  . . .and there were heaps of corn on her plate.  No, it won't take heaps of time.  Please give me a heap of that!  This blog is heaps and heaps of fun!  I am going to publish the post now before I can say heaps again.  Heaps, heaps, heaps.
The Sunrise!

No comments:

Post a Comment