Thursday, February 10, 2011

Heaps of Animals

(I included heaps in the title because every time I heard that word today I laughed because of my blog post yesterday!)

     Last night, the college hired a professional animal handler to show us some cool Australian animals.  Like most "Australian Animal Handlers," this guy was crazy and I was scared for his safety.  Since I do not remember his name, I will call him Mr. Crazy Adventure Man.  The animals that Mr. CAM showed us were amazing and totally deserve a post of their own.  One of the animals that Mr. CAM let me hold (around my neck and put on my shoulders) was a python.   While I thought that it was so cool, I honestly was questioning how he knew that the snake was not about to eat me.  In fact, I probably looked like a pretty good meal- I had a cool Australia flag tattoo on my face (yes, on my face- I am that cooool! ha!)  But I was also very tense which is definitely how you are not supposed to be in that situation.  Being tense causes the snake to also be tense and squeeze harder.  And I am not sure if this is true or not, but I feel like being tense also causes the snake to want to get VERY close to my face. 
     Holding the python was a thrilling experience in itself.  I do not know what I would do if I saw one of these in the "bush."  Also, I had the chance to hold some of the other animals that Mr. Crazy Adventure Man brought to our campus.  I held a large lizard, another small snake, and a crocodile!  Very exciting!
     I saw more animals today on my hike.  Lauren and I went on a 13.4 mile hike through Sydney National Park and saw a million Bearded Dragons.  When we saw the first Bearded Dragon, we took a ton of pictures because we thought that they were rare.  Once we found a lot more on the trail, I realized why hikers who passed were staring at us like we were tourists or something, haha.
     Yesterday as I was walking back from the beach, a car pulled over and people quickly got out of the car.  Wondering what they were going to see, I walked over and saw a hedgehog!  It looked like a porcupine.  The Australians told me that hedgehogs are very rare to see in the city.
     And last- but CERTAINLY not least- I have seen 3 bandicoots.  Yes, bandicoots!  Why have you not heard of them?  Because they are endangered animals.  In fact, the only place in the world that bandicoots are found is on ICMS campus and a very tiny part of Manly.  There are signs for drivers that say "Endangered Bandicoots" when cars enter the ICMS campus.  And here is the thing: bandicoots look like rats with long noses- I am not kidding!
     Some other animals that I have seen recently are: spiders (that are HUGE!), kangaroos, koalas, large bats, *birds that sound like monkeys that like to wake me up in the morning, and several ocean animals!  Australia is the perfect place to be for wildlife!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment