Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fire Warden

That is me.  Let me explain. . .
     My dorm hall (2nd floor is the bomb.com) had a meeting with the RA and we went over rules for living in the dorms.  After the meeting, I had to ask the RA a question about the dorm and then she asked me if I wanted to be Fire Warden for our hall.  Sure.  So, lucky me had to go to a meeting with the house manager and fire patrol on what Fire Wardens do when there is a fire.  This meeting was an hour and a half and I actually learned cool things about fire extinguishers and ways to remain calm when there is a fire.  (Apparently, if the fire wardens do not freak out, then 75% of students will remain calm(er) during a fire!)  I had not told anyone about my position as fire warden until. .
     Last night.  The fire alarm went off in the other dorm building next to where I live.  I heard the alarm (and I am not kidding, I was kind of excited to put my new fire-knowledge to the test, haha!)  People started coming out of their dorms to the hall and I said that I would see what we needed to do.  I did not want to slack on fire warden responsibilities!  Turns out that everything was fine and that a guy in the other dorm had overcooked his noodles.  Go figure!  Then my friends started laughing at me when they found out that I was fire warden, and nearly died out laughing when I showed them the correct way to open the doors.  You touch the door knob with the outside of the hand to see if it is warm- and they laughed even harder when I told them about the official meeting that I had to attend to be "fire warden."  My roomates joked and said that they did not trust me to be the fire warden, haha!
    
     Random bit of interesting knowledge: if someone is unconscious during a fire, put them on a bedsheet and drag them down the hall.  I kind of want to try that right now!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment