Tuesday, March 22, 2011

TOP 10 ways to SPOT A TOURIST

I am going to borrow David Letterman's Top 10 format for the all-important topic of How to Spot a Tourist in Manly:
                        da. . .da.. . .dum. . .
10. If they have a camera.  And are taking a million pictures of the same scene.
9.  Tourists wear tennis shoes.  Unless Australians are working out, they wear "thongs" aka flip flops.
8.  This should be pretty obvious, but just walk into a souvenir shop.  I guarantee that 99.9% of the people (aside from the employees) will be tourists.
7.  Tourists wear Australian paraphernalia.  (Australian Day does not count for this rule!)

6.  If they don't have an Australian accent.  *I find that I look more like an Australian if I don't talk, haha.*
5.  If they take pictures of water dragons along the beach.  Sure, water dragons are cool but they are so typical by the beach that Australians do not pay much attention to them.
4.  Tourists carry maps.  Some tourists even take this a step further- they walk with their maps open. 
3.  Tourists walk on the right side and sometimes don't notice that people walking from the other direction are walking on the same side of the sidewalk ("footpath" here as I learned today!)  Tourists walk on the right-hand side of the footpath.
2.  If they are pointing at something that is typical.  Like if they are pointing at a boat.  Or at the ferry.  Or at the flags on the beach where the swimming area is.  Or if they are pointing at a sign that says "Mate."  Or if they are pointing at a "weird" spelling like Colour instead of Color.  The list goes on and on :)
1. If they are sporting an AUSTRALIAN FLAG swimsuit.  (Unless you want to scream tourist, do Not, I repeat, do not wear an Australian flag swimsuit.  It is embarrasing for you and the bottom line is that flags are not made to wear, they are made to hang on flag poles which is where I would rather view them!)

2 comments:

  1. hahah this list is so true! when i visit places i try my hardest to fit in. is that bad? should i procaim and be proud of my tourist-self? I don't know. but this list was great. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jill! Your blog is so awesome by the way :) And my mom just told me that you will be in B'ham this summer, we should hang out!

    ReplyDelete