Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Going 2 Taronga

What an amazing experience!
    Megan and I went to the Taronga Zoo on Sunday and spent 4 hours seeing the huge zoo in Sydney!  And let me tell you, the Seal Show was FABULOUS!!!  I had no idea how smart seals are, but they are trained to do a variety of activities on cue.  Seals and Sea Lions waved, played dead, jumped into the water from about 10 feet high, balanced a ball on their nose, and even "barked" (I don't really know what to call the noise that they make) when the director of the show would say a certain phrase or do hand motions.  And they certainly were rewarded- I think they ate at least 15 whole fish each for doing their tricks!  It really was a wonderful show and at the end, I wondered how long this must have taken for the seals to learn all of the tricks!!!
     The animals were all very active and we joked that the Taronga Zoo must have them on some type of drug because they all were moving around and very active.  (Except for the Kanga's which were sleeping in a sprawled out position!)  I saw my first Emu, which I recognized because it is on the Australian Government's seal.  The emu and kangaroo were both selected to be on the seal because they are the only two animals that can't walk backwards.  I like the meaning behind that- always going forward. 
     And I don't know how the giraffe's got so lucky, because the giraffe area overlooked the Harbour Bridge!  I am jealous of their "Home" :) The giraffes were eating carrots when Megan and I got there, so I got to see their super long tongue that is half of a meter grab the carrots.  I learned that giraffes only need 20 minutes of sleep every night and that they run super fast!

     Other animals that we saw were lions, tigers, bears. . .oh my (just had to do that!), elephants, baby elephant, turtle, zebra, birds, GORilla, crocs, penguins, and zebras.  It was neat to see the different species of birds and reptiles that live in Australia.  I think that Australians are particularly proud of their snakes because all of the text beside the snakes told how poisonous the snakes were and how Australia has the top 3 most venomous snakes IN THE WORLD!  I hope I don't come in contact with one of those any time soon!
     Here is a picture of two Samatran Tigers:

    

No comments:

Post a Comment