Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The dangers of American Football

     I have NEVER realized how many times per day that the right ring-finger is used.  It is used in the morning rituals of brushing teeth, tying shoes, and showering, but I especially did not realize how much I use it when I type and write.  This week I have figured out how to do all of these things with a splint in my ring-finger and pinkie.
     This weekend, I broke my ring finger when I was playing football on the beach.  I was the wide-receiver and was determined to catch one of the passes!  The ball was thrown a little short and tipped in the air by another player close to me, and I had little response time to move my hand.  So, the football hit the very tip of my finger and it caused it to jam (I thought it was a jam at that time!)  But, my finger started to get HUGE and turn blue and black.  I decided to wait until Monday to go to the doctor.
     Let me just take a minute to say that I am in Australia and I feel like I should hurt my finger doing something else other than playing American Football.  I should have broken it doing some extreme sport, playing cricket (just kidding- haha), having some type of poisonous animal bite my hand.  Or, an even better option would be to not get injured in the first place! :)
     This week and next week are exams at school.  Since my marketing exam is mostly essay and short answer questions, I talked with student services at ICMS about how. . .uhhhh. . . .I couldn't write very fast!  So yesterday I took my marketing exam in a secluded room at a different time than everyone else.  And here is the cool part- I was given an additional 30 minutes to finish it (which I really needed!)
    
     Three things learned after my finger broke:
              1. It stinks to have a broken finger!
              2. I was given a new nickname (in addition to Bama, bam-bam, Alabamie): Tiny Tim
              3. There are test benefits for having a broken finger.  If you have the option of when to break your finger, do it during exam time because you will get extra time on a long exam!

No comments:

Post a Comment