Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Man's Man Sport

     Australian football is, to me, considered a Man's Man sport because of the sole fact that the players tackle (like in American football) BUT they don't wear pads!!!  Yes, I had to see this for myself!
     The Sydney Swans took on Carlton (inner city Melbourne) on a rainy night at the Sydney Cricket Ground!  I bet you can guess who I cheered for---GO SWANS!  To understand the differences between American football and Australian football, I have compiled a list of 5 differences:

5. The ball has to touch the ground often to continue play
4. No helmets
3. You are not allowed to throw the ball forward- but you can "handball" it backwards.  
2. The players score by kicking the football between four posts.  (6 points are scored if between the middle two posts, and 1 point is scored if it is in the outside posts)
1. The guys wear short shorts.
(Note: Number 1 is a difference AND a benefit! haha, just kidding!)

     Lauren and I sat under the awning after it started raining and the guy next to me asked me what team I went for (of course he went for Carlton).  He told me that Carlton had the best football player in the nation- which is not exactly what I wanted to hear when the Sydney Swans were loosing!!!

     Though the Sydney Swans lost the game, it was close and a lot of points were scored for both teams- which I think makes the games more exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment