Friday, April 29, 2011

Jumping off of a 40 meter bridge. . .

Ready?????? 3. . .2. . .1. . . .. .

     I was standing on the bridge- what I would like to call the plank because it reminded me of the planks in movies like Pirates of the Carribean.  (But of course, people walk the plank and die in movies-which was a very reassuring thought when I was about to jump).  I think that the bungy jumping employee was ready for me to jump, so then I would stop asking him questions.  I probably asked the most questions in the two-minute time period that it took for me to "Walk the plank" than I would have thought was humanly possible.  Here are some of the questions that I asked the guide---
1.  Do I jump or Dive? (Either)
2. If I dive, how do I dive? (You pretend that you are diving into a swimming pool!)
3. Man, we are already to the edge of the plank? (This was more of a statement than a question.)
4. What if a boat comes when I am going?
5. Do I close my eyes?
6. When do I pull the rope?
7. (My personal favorite): HOW LONG HAVE YOU WORKED HERE???
And do ya want to know his response???  He said that he was "filling in" today.  FUNNY.JOKE.  

I was finally ready to jump!  But, before I could go, I had to pose for two pictures

     The guide then told me to hold my hands together and follow my hands.  This was the best advice that I have received because it made it (a little) easier to go.  What seems like a second later, he counted down from 3 and I WENT!!!  
     Though it all went very quickly, I remember the feeling when I was falling.  It was similar to the feeling on the rides in amusement parks that lift people up to the top of the tower and then the metal piece falls many stories to the ground.  It was the feeling in my stomach that was a blend of adrenaline and excitement.
Then I blinked and I was bungy-ing on the way back up.  But I was SOAKING WET!


     I think that I went up and down about 5 times (and every time I went down, the feeling in my stomach came back).  I was pulling the rope attached to my vest because they told me to pull it after I stopped going up and down so it would flip me to a normal position.  The truth is, I tried to pull it but I was too nervous and thought that I would fall down if I did.  So, it was a surprise to him that I was still facing the water when he pulled me up!  Everyone laughed and then he flipped me to the correct way.
    Bungy Jumping was one of the scariest, most-thrilling things that I have ever done.  Afterward, friends asked me if I would ever do it again.  I told them that I definitely would!       

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, I did the Kawarau Bridge Jump in Queenstown. How crazy was it! You had much better form than I did. I went feet first lol.

    ReplyDelete