Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How (not to) Snorkel

Read this first: Everyone should adjust their goggles BEFORE jumping in the ocean. . .

Whew, now that I got the important part out of the way-
Ready to go!
     Yesterday, my friend and I went snorkeling at Shelly Beach, which is a 5 minute walk from ICMS.  After our guide showed us how to de-fog our goggles (aka spit into the goggles and then rub it), adjust our flippers, and make sure that our snorkel was adjusted, then we were off into the ocean.
Snorkeling was so cool, except that water kept getting into my left eye.  I re-adjusted my goggles and continued swimming- only to find that the.same.thing.happened.
     I decided to try to tighten the goggle straps one more time.  By this time, I felt like I was missing out on super cool fish, or coral, or sharks (the guide said that small sharks were only 100m away!)  So, I tightened them. . .umm. . .too tight.  Yes, my left eye glass popped off and sunk in the ocean- and I could not retrieve it because, oh ya, I could not see.
     So, I had a marvelous idea!  I decided to go to the guide and tell him that water kept leaking into my goggles.  He asked if I had tried to tighten them- yes!- and then asked if I could give it to him to fix.  Let me just tell you how SMART I felt when I handed over my goggles that only had one lens. 
     The guide figured out the problem: water was leaking into my goggles because one lens was missing.
Me: Oh really??? (Trying to avoid the subject that I actually broke them with my hard-core tightening brigade)

And the kind guide let me use his goggles for the whole tour even though we were pretty far away from the beach.  AND I COULD SEE!  Seeing schools of fish was my favorite part,  It was a blast!
     Lesson learned- next time, I will adjust my goggles before I am in the water!  
  








No comments:

Post a Comment