Friday, April 8, 2011

My Guidebook.

     DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT bring a book to Australia that contains the Australian phrases that are used "all of the time."  (I just put All of the Time in quotes because the book makes the reader think that Australians speak a different language-even though it still is English-and you won't be able to understand them unless you learn the phrases).
      So, I spent most of the flight on the way to Australia reading the book and MEMORIZING phrases that I should use to communicate with Australians.  Most of the quotes compare how you are feeling to an animal.  Like "I am feeling skippedy like a Kangaroo". . .okay, it did not actually say this, but the quotes were like this!
     Thankfully, a kind Australian at the airport looked at the book and told me to Never. Say. These. Phrases- unless I wanted to look like a goober of course! 
     I still have the book (one of my friends let me borrow it for this semester because she what probably trying to play a prank on me and have me embarrass myself, haha.) and last week, my Australian friends found it on my desk.  Let me just say that anyone who is planning on coming to Australia should NOT bring one of these Australian Phrase books!  No matter what!  I know there are tons of lists of what to pack on a trip Down Under, but I think there is one more list that is more important than this:
What not to pack:
Australian Phrase Book.
  

3 comments:

  1. HAH. this is sooooooo funny. i bet someone makes those kind of books just as a prank on alllll tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice.. that is really funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah no one talks like the American-stereotyped Australian. Here are a few terms I've picked up so far. Have anymore I should include?

    http://srattingdownunder.blogspot.com/p/aussie-terms_04.html

    ReplyDelete